Company Spotlight: Tupperware Brand- Focus on Fitness
Tupperware, a household name, is head quartered right here in Central Florida. We asked Monica Riley, their Global Health and Wellness Manager, to share with us about TupperFit, what’s new in the almost 70 year old company and a success story of their wellness program.
TSE: Tupperware has been around forever. Give us a little info about the company.
MR: Tupperware Brands Corporation is the leading global marketer of innovative, premium products across multiple brands utilizing a relationship-based selling method through an independent global sales force of 2.9 million in nearly 80 markets. In fact, every 1.3 seconds a Tupperware party happens somewhere in the world. Tupperware Brands views itself as a personal development company that improves women’s lives by enlightening, educating and empowering them and has done so for more than 65 years – through the business opportunities it provides and the innovative, lifestyle-enhancing products it produces.
TSE: What is TupperFit? Why and when was it started and how is it funded?
MR: In 2008 our Chairman and CEO, Rick Goings attended the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland along with leaders from business, government and civil society and made a “Call to Action” to strengthen their commitment to employee wellness in the work place on a global scale. The leaders focused on the “how” and not the “why” with commitments that each organization would either ensure workplace wellness initiatives were communicated throughout the business units or establish wellness programs. This vision aligned with Tupperware Brands focus on its High Performance Culture by safeguarding the health of our Associates (employees) as a key priority of the business. The end result would be an engaged, vibrant work force that would be energized and contribute to the growth of the business. From this “Call to Action”, the birth of our TupperFit program was established in April 2008. Dedicated resources (financial and human) were provided by our Human Resources Department with strong support from our nearly 13,000 Associates around the world including senior management. Our senior management team is very visible and engaged in many of our “TupperFit” activities.
TSE: Tell us about a ‘healthy success story’ of a Tupperware employee.
MR: Tupperware Brands health and fitness maven – Amy Hardman, Senior Manager Commercial Finance, TEAM.
Amy Hardman Interview courtesy of Tupperware Brands Women Making Waves Global Newsletter
1. You’ve had an impressive and inspiring journey – can you tell us about your pledge to do twelve runs and walks to raise money to battle cancer?
On January 21, 2015, I celebrated my 10-year Survivor Anniversary from Stage 4 Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. I decided to celebrate hitting double digits by doing a year-long journey of 10k run/walks. Each event would take place in a different country and benefit local patient services charities of the event country as well as raise funds for research to eradicate the 12 most prevalent cancers worldwide.
I am here today because of research – because someone ran, walked, donated and made research and new treatments possible. I am also here because of a positive fighting attitude and lots of supportive people who treated me as a whole person, not just a number or someone waiting to die. I was still me, bald head and all. The fact that I benefited from doctors and patient services that saw “me” and not the IV poles, a devastating diagnosis and bald head was meaningful.
I love to travel and have now lived in Europe for almost four years. I feel very much a global citizen and that is why I decided to do these events to benefit multiple countries’ patient services and the cancers that affect us all on a global scale. I also hope to inspire other cancer warriors who are now fighting the fight, be it patients or family and friends who are supporting, cheering and loving. It is my turn to give back and pay it forward. That is how I wanted to celebrate my “10th birthday.”
2. Where does your passion for fitness come from?
I have always been active and adventurous since childhood – dancing, climbing trees, riding bikes and playing sports. I find that it helps me relieve stress, clear my mind and enables me to address each day in a more centered, holistic, mind-body-spirit connected fashion. It is also a great way to make friends and have fun!
3. What’s your #1 advice for someone who wants to jump starts their healthy lifestyle?
Try with something small, set a goal with a deadline, get a buddy to join you and encourage you and hold you accountable, and find something that you feel is really interesting, fun or exciting that you have always wanted to try. It doesn’t have to be what everyone else finds interesting, but what you find interesting. Point is to start! You don’t have to run a marathon or a 10k to begin to reap wonderful benefits.
TSE: 4.How do you motivate Tupperware employees to get involved? How do you keep a focus on fitness and health all year long?
MR: To keep our Associates motivated and engaged we have activities and programs that are fun, exciting and do not feel as though you are working hard to reach your wellness and/or fitness goals. Our Global Health Initiative activities have created an environment of positive spirit, fun, collaboration, friendly competition, team building and camaraderie among Associates. TupperFit is part of our Tupperware Brands’ DNA. It is always top of mind - i.e. meetings, breakrooms, water cooler talks and many business units have included this in their operating plans. At our global headquarters here in Orlando, we offer the following for our Associates:
• Onsite Wellness Center/Gym that is open 7 days a week for Associates and their adult family members as guests. We have a spinning room, circuit training room, free weights training room and an aerobics and cardio Room
• Personal trainers are available 5 days a week. The company subsidizes 50% of the trainer fee
• Daily fitness classes offered Monday – Thursday (Cardio Blast, Spinning, Boot Camp, Zumba, Yoga), with unlimited classes for a monthly small fee
• Bi-weekly chair massages
• On campus we also have basketball courts, tennis courts, soccer field, softball field, volleyball area and corn horn area
• Monthly 5k’s held on campus
• Company sponsored Running Club – (registration fees for races are paid for by company).
• Blood Drives
• Healthy Cooking Demonstrations with our very own Global Culinary Chef
• Lunch and Learns that focus on fitness, health and nutrition
• Financial Wellness seminars
• Fun weight loss challenges ( i.e. High school skinny contest)
• Incentives are provided to Associates who participate in our activities (i.e. VISA gift cards, Fitbits, fitness related items etc.)
• “On the Go Business Travel Exercise Toolkit” for those Associates who travel frequently
• We have received numerous awards for our TupperFit programs. Since 2009, Tupperware Brands has received national recognition as a Platinum Level START! Fit Friendly Company by the American Heart Association. AHA recognizes companies for making health and wellness of their employees a top priority. Tupperware is one of the few companies in central Florida and the U.S. that have been recognized with this status through creative and innovative ways of engaging all levels of Associates in our organization.
TSE: What’s new with Tupperware? Are you launching any new products? New technology?
MR: Product brands and categories include design-centric preparation, storage and serving solutions for the kitchen and home through the Tupperware brand and beauty and personal care products through the Avroy Shlain, BeautiControl, Fuller Cosmetics, NaturCare, Nutrimetics and Nuvo brands. Its flagship Tupperware product line has made lives easier with its kitchen solutions – from food preparation, to storage and cooking. With approximately 25 percent of the company’s sales each year stemming from new products (introduced in the past two years), Tupperware has become known for not only its high quality food conservation solutions, but also for its innovative serving and cooking products that save time and money while meeting today’s lifestyle needs.
Use Facebook to Leave a Comment - We'd love to hear from you.