7:30 AMAdd to Calendar
Track Shack Events received Silver certification by the Council for Responsible Sport for the 2016 OUC Orlando Half Marathon and Lake Eola 5k. This official third-party verified certification was earned by successfully implementing 41 of the 61 total best practices according to the version 4.2 Standards for Responsible Sport. We are applying for recertification for the 2018 races.
Track Shack Events and OUC believe that sustainability matters at work, play and at home. Together, we can reduce the environmental footprint of the half marathon and 5k by focusing on the three key areas listed below.
• Volunteer waivers are electronic – eliminating 200 pieces of paper
• Online registration (71%) – eliminating over 4,500 pieces of paper
• e-Race Packet – with final race info, course map and deals - eliminating 75,000 pieces of paper
• Using clean H2OUC from hydrants to serve runners and walkers along the route reduces the need for 2,700 plastic gallon jugs
• Capturing and sorting plastic bottles, plastic film, paper and cardboard; collecting food items for composting.
• Collecting used running shoes at Track Shack during November for our partners Sneaker Seekers; an organization committed to ‘tying our community together one lace at a time’.
• T-shirts - Recycled polyester material, printed locally with sustainable phthalate-free inks.
• Portable toilets – Use toilet paper and paper towels made of 20% post-consumer recycled fibers; vendor uses non-toxic deodorizer
As part of our Sustainability Matters, read more and feel good about our partners’ innovative sustainability initiatives.
Use Facebook to Leave a Comment on OUC Orlando Half Marathon & Track Shack Lake Eola 5k - We'd love to hear from you!